” In every major city in the Western world, some things are always the same. (…) But some things are only in Rome. Like the sandwich counterman so comfortably calling me “beautiful” every time we speak. You want this panino grilled or cold, bella?” - Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
While it is usually easy to find a good pizza or a hot dish of pasta in every trattoria in Rome, it is not so easy to get a good healthy fresh “panino” (sandwich). Therefore we decided to list here some good addresses near the touristic areas. And we welcome your suggestions to keep the list updated:
- aMi : gourmet sandwiches, salads, fruit salads, yogurt, milkshakes…. near Piazza di Spagna.
- Duecentogradi: tailor made panini and few seats just around the Vatican Walls.
- Fa-bio: tiny shop, no seats and a bit to wait as they prepare your sandwich in front of you! Organic ingredients and vegan options. Great smoothies too. Near the Vatican.
- Gaudeo: a sandwich for each Italian region with fresh ingredients. A trip through our Peninsula, not only a meal! In the delightful area of Monti, not far from the Colosseo (mid way between Via Nazionale and Via Cavour).
- Roscioli: not only bread and pizza to take away here, but the famous “pizza bianca e mortadella”, a typical alternative to a sandwich in Rome 8in the picture). Near Campo dei Fiori. We are sorry for vegetarians!
- La Sandwicheria: few steps away from the Spanish Steps, great unusual sandwiches. No seats.
- Vero: sandwiches, but also salads and sushi. A good spot to sit down, rest with a cake and mug of hot tea or a frozen milkshake depending on the season. Mid way between the Vatican and Piazza del Popolo.